My name is Martin McSweeney and I am a private math tutor in Huntington Beach. I provide math tutoring and test preparation (SAT and ACT) to help prepare students for admission to competitive colleges. Many of my students have done well in high school and have been accepted to Ivy League and other top colleges. However, the majority of my students come to me in crisis, wanting only to achieve a passing grade or to earn a B rather than a C.
While I typically work with high school students, I have also successfully tutored homeschool students from middle school to high school. College students and returning students of all abilities are equally welcome.
For years I worked for a test prep company teaching classes for all sections of the SAT. Since 1997, I have worked on my own in test prep and have had a student score a perfect composite score on the SAT. In addition, multiple students of mine have scored an 800 on the SAT math and 800 on the SAT 2 Math 2. As I am a National Merit Finalist myself, I do know how to score well on the entire SAT and scored a 32 on the ACT as a sophomore in high school.
Sessions are conducted in a private study room of the Central Library in Huntington Beach, California. I mostly tutor one-on-one. For math tutoring, though, two students can meet at one time. The rate will be lower per student as the hourly rate is divided between them.
My Experience & Accomplishments
- Tutored and guided preparation of students at Upward Bound Program through Harvey Mudd College.
- Served as teaching assistant and helped redesign curriculum for Logic Course of CTY, Loyola Marymount/Johns Hopkins to meet the students’ needs.
- Taught math & science classes at Whittier High School.
- Led tours of approximately 200 prospective students and their parents at Pomona College, addressing questions and concerns of interested parties.
- Am a National Merit Finalist (Wikipedia) and a member of American MENSA, Ltd.
- Served as Vice-President, San Gabriel Valley Toastmasters.
- Professional Tutor/Teacher since 1993